What’s happening in week 12?
You are now 12 weeks pregnant wahoo! close to end of first trimester and you experiencing that your body has changed a little bit from week one. Now you must be focus about your dating scan which is due in this week!
At a glance
- Your champ is about the size of a lime at this week
- Your little champ is now 6cm in length and fully formed
- The most dramatic development this week: reflexes
- His face looks unquestionably human
- Their eyelids remain fused shut until week 27
Your baby at week 12
From crown to rump (CRL), your baby is just over 2 inches long about the size of lime and weighs half an ounce. Tiny champ is now a compact 6cm in length. This is the most suitable time to see your baby at your dating scan. At the next stage of their development is to grow larger and practise breathing motion. Baby is moving in mother’s womb a lot at this stage but mother in their first pregnancy still won’t be able to feel his motion, although in second and so on pregnancies mother will be able to recognize their motion. Baby’s eyelid at this week 12 remain fused shut, it will be open at around week 27 and have moved to their final position on the front of the head (rather than the side), while their little wrists and elbows bend as they move around.
The dramatic development of your baby this week is beginning to practice their reflexes; his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clinch, curling fingers and his mouth making sucking movements. Baby’s intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move back inside the abdominal cavity about now, and your little champ kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
At this week baby’s skeleton is currently made of cartilage but afterwards this will become harden in to bones. The amazing thing is that when baby is born their skeleton is made up of over 300 parts of bone and cartilage, but they will only have 206 as an adult, as bones fuse together to form larger, stronger bones.
You at 12 weeks pregnant
Mother in week 12 noticing many drastic changes in their body like;
- You may already be into maternity clothes, especially if this isn’t your first pregnancy.
- You may begin to feel heartburn (also called acid indigestion), a burning sensation that often extends from the bottom of your breast bone to your lower throat.
- You feel your upper abdomen bloating and gas.
- Increased extra vaginal discharge which is normal during pregnancy due to increased estrogen, which stimulates mucous membrane.
- Experiencing occasional headaches.
- During pregnancy, the placenta produces a lot of the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach.
- Your uterus has grown to the point and now about the size of a large grapefruit,where the doctor can now feel the top of it (the fundus) low in your abdomen, just above your pubic bone.
- You are now near the end of your first trimester and might be putting morning sickness and extreme exhaustion behind you a bit now.
READ MORE ABOUT: