In general views study finds that people don’t like to think that older people have sex – but to challenge this conception at a societal level and to determine what impact sexual activity can have on older adults, those aged 50 and over, beyond the known effects on sexual health and general well-being. There is a ‘cause and effect’ relationship between sexual activity and cognitive function in older people.
Study has claimed : “Sexually active people over the age of 50 are more likely to have a better memory”
According to Archives of Sexual Behaviour, those people engaging in regular sexual activity in middle age have very clam behaviour and also sexual relationship could be linked to an improved memory.
University of Wollongong in Australia, carried out research on 6,016 individuals, all of which were over the age of 50. The data, which was collected in 2012 and 2014, questioned 2,672 men and 3,344 women on a number of aspects of their lives including their health, diet and sexual activity. And also these participants completed an episodic memory test to compare the results from both.
The conclusion was that while all those adults across the board exhibited signs of memory loss who have no intimate relationship in older age or no sex in life, while those people in more sexual and intimate relationships were able to perform better at the memory tests. This is not the first time when sexual life linked with good memory. It reveals that, frequent sex activity or pleasure could have a positive effect on memory retention.
Benefits of having sex at older age:
Sex is definitely not just for the adults and young people, the benefits of sex may even more increase as one gets older too, some of these are;
- Sex and have fun at older age gives the protective and stimulating effect it may have on brain function.
- Frequent sex have improve sleep and immunity.
- Combat with heart diseases.
- Having sex is also known to make people happy, and at a time in life when many older adults feel emotionally unsettled.
- Regular or frequent sex with your partner can ease anxiety and even depression.
- Sexual activity can increase your levels of oxytocin, which has been shown to decrease anxiety and stress levels.
- Intimate relationship feels you more secure at older age.
- Sex has also been shown to release endorphins, which have been shown to act as natural painkillers.
- In men, regular ejaculation may lower risk of prostate cancer.
- Being sexually satisfied has also been linked to enjoying a better quality of life.
- Sex with your partner can lead to better communication within the relationship, strengthening your bond and increasing overall intimacy.
READ MORE ABOUT: