Everyone knows that nicotine causes addiction, in fact the addictive capacity exceeds five times cocaine, but perhaps what many of those people ignore is that it is proven that psychological dependence is more resistant than physical.
For this reason, the expert emphasizes that awareness, the conviction of short and long term benefits and the knowledge of the emotions and feelings that we can experience are key elements in facing the challenge of abandoning dependence on tobacco. In this way, we will anticipate consequences and be forewarned, thus reducing the probability of occurrence or relapse.
- SEE THIS ALSO:TRYING TO CONCIEVE : TOP HIT 11 TIPS.
Smoking does not relax:
All smokers have situations and times that are linked to pulling a cigar from the pack, put it on the lips and turn it on. The problem is that this almost reflex act is automated and it is complicated to end it. By getting this, we will be able to detect that it really is not a physiological need as such, but that it is an act that we do without thinking, in the same way that we lock the door and do not process whether we have done it or not.
The same thing happens with the fact that smoking helps us regulate them when we are very nervous or too relaxed. “Therefore, the first phase is usually to rationalize this type of thoughts, to be aware that it really is not so and have the resources to self-convict and give us instructions in the moments when these thoughts burst into our mind,” continues the specialist.
So what do we have to do in those situations? How can we control and fight against the need to continue smoking? The answer is simple: avoiding exposing ourselves to what could lead us into temptation. This means avoiding going out into the street with other smokers during leisure time, not buying tobacco or having it at home and controlling the levels of alcohol, coffee or other foods and drinks that lead us to think that we may want to smoke once Ingested ” Social events are often the most difficult times when facing the decision not to smoke . Therefore, it is convenient, be mindful, think about the proposed objectives,
Essential steps to deal with psychological dependence:
Finally, doctors indicates the key points to end the psychological dependence on tobacco and achieve our goal:
- Have adequate information about the effects that tobacco and all its components have on the body.
- Make a record the first weeks where quantified, as much as possible, quantity and frequency of cigarettes consumed . The antecedent situation can also be recorded for greater control.
- Review those reasons why we have decided to quit smoking and convince them. We must also think about the objectives we want to achieve in terms of well-being, health, social relations, habits, etc., with this change in the short, medium and long term.
- To develop in the first moments an adequate control stimulate , avoiding those situations or stimuli that precipitate the smoking behavior to, little by little, generate a self-control as we expose ourselves to them.