Tattoos are very common now a days than ever. Tattooing carries many health risk because it requires breaking and damaging the skin barrier. It carries many harmful infection and allergic reaction. Now such risks reduce by working with single use items and sterilizing equipment. Many wide range of pigments used in tattoo inks creates unforeseen problems of health. People ask rarely about tattooing——–are tattoos risky? But the answer is it is totally up to your own choice, if you bear pain or significant complications than go ahead, otherwise let think of it again.
HOW TATTOOS ARE DONE:
A permanent design or mark made on the skin top layer with the pigments inserted through pricks. Tattoos artist uses the piercing hand-held machine just act like a sewing machine, with 2 or 3 needles in it. Machine piercing the skin repeatedly and with every puncture needles on machine inserted the tiny ink droplet for colour.
This procedure is done without any anesthesia but small amount of bleeding occur with every puncture with potentially significant pain.
ARE TATTOOS RISKY:
Tattoos are risky up to some extent. Tattoos creates many skin infections and complications some of these are;
Tattoos causes many serious infection. The spread of diseases like hepatitis can come from the use of unsterilized equipments and needles. To prevent from all these harmful things, all tattooing equipment needs to clean and sterile. Tattooed areas need proper and serious care for the first few weeks in order to guard against infections.
Allergic reactions are very rare which are caused by tattoo pigments. But they do happened, they can be particularly troublesome when they exist. That’s because of pigments that are used in tattoo can be hard to remove. It may be that to have allergic reaction after you have tattoos for year.
Possibility of skin infection increases many time after tattooing, because when machine puncture the top layer of skin bleeding occurs so it may cause skin infection.
If the equipments which are used during tattooing is contaminated with infected blood than possibility of blood borne diseases increases such as tetanus and hepatitis C & B.
Scars that grew after the time of any injury beyond normal boundaries of skin is known as keloids. If you are prone to them, you are at a great risk of getting them after a tattoo.
Nodules or inflammation that may be caused by the tissues injury during punctures and due to tattoos pigments are commonly known as granulomas.
MRI – COMPLICATIONS:
Many people have been report having tattoos that they experience burning and swelling in the area of tattoos during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). There have been reports that the pigments which are used in tattoos affecting the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) image quality . It seems to happen mainly when a person having permanent eyeliner gets an MRI of eyes. Mascara also produce the same affects, but it removed easily. It may be occurs by interacting with the m
metallic components of similar pigments.People who have permanent makeup and tattoos should be told the radiologists to avoid complications.
PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES BEFORE TATTOOING:
You should make sure that your tattoo will be applied carefully and safely ask these question before tattooing:
- Who does the tattooing? Always go to reputable tattooing studio who have properly trained and professional staff members. Keep in mind the standards and regulations of your state because it vary from every state.
- Does the tattoo artist wear gloves? Observe that tattoo artist properly wash his/her hands and wear new pair of gloves for every other procedure.
- Does the tattoo artist use proper equipments? Always make sure that tattoo artist use proper equipments for each procedure. He/she uses the fresh and sealed packed needles and tubes when he/she start procedure.
- Does they use sterilized non-disposible equipment? Observe that tattooing studio have their own autoclave apparatus to sterilized the non-disposible equipments.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR TATTOOS:
- Apply antibiotic ointment. Remove the bandage after twenty-four hours and apply antibiotic skin ointment on the skin for healing quickly.
- Keep the tattooed skin clean and clear. Take extra care of tattooed skin, only use plain soap and water on it and gently touch the skin area. Avoid steam water directly on newly tattooed skin. Only pat gently and don’t rub.
- Apply moisturizer. Apply moisturizer several time in the day to the tattooed skin area and don’t let it dry.
- Avoid exposure to sun rays. Avoid sun exposure to the newly tattooed skin for at least few weeks.
- Choose clothing carefully. Avoid the clothes that stick to the skin. Choose soft and cotton clothes on tattooed skin area.
- Allow time for healing. Allow at least two to three weeks for tattooed skin healing. Don’t scrub it might increase the risk of infection.
If you see that tattooed skin area might be infected or tattoos are not healing properly. Consult to your doctor at your priority. And if you want to remove the tattoos from the skin consult to the dermatologists and ask for laser therapy and other options for its removal.