Livinghope4all explains what a sitz bath is, its wonderful benefits, how it should be used, and the preventive measures you must consider while using it.
What Is A Sitz Bath?
As the term suggest Sit and Bath.Sitz bath is different way of bathing in which individual places the lower back in warm water to get relief from pain caused by rupture of tissues in rectum region.
When Is Sitz Bath Used?
Sitz bath can be used for the following reasons.
- Personal hygiene
- Painful bowel movement
- Post vaginal delivery
- Vaginal infections
- Anal fissures
- Surgery in the perineal area
- Itching or irritation in the lower bottom
- Diarrhea and constipation
What Are The Benefits Of A Sitz Bath?
A sitz bath is a soothing way to cleanse the area without rubbing or scrubbing. It had been used for a long time for healing purpose. Pregnant women can try the sitz bath at home during and post vaginal pregnancy to enjoy its benefits.
- Warm water promotes healing of any inflammation or swelling in the specific area by increasing the blood flow.
- Help relieve discomfort, pain and itching.
- Benefical in discomfort of hemorrhoids and anal fissures because of
fine tears in the delicate skin tissue around the area.
- It helps to dissolve the stitches of the perineum after natural vaginal childbirth.
- Useful in bladder infections, yeast infection, urinary track infections(UTI) and other problems by cleansing the perineum to prevent any infection.
- Helps relieve the discomfort of constipationby promote muscles to relax.
By adding Epsom salt to sitz bath achieved even more therapeutic benefits include:
- Its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Help in reducing the swelling.
- It contains magnesium that prevents cramping.
- Soothes the itchy skin.
Precautions To Take While Taking A Sitz Bath After Delivery
Here are some precautions that you must take before taking sitz bath post delivery.
- Firstly ask your doctor to take sitz bath because some seasons are not suitable for it.
- Good hygiene and sitz bath can prevent infection and an unpleasant odor from vagina.
- Water should not be too hot ideally use lukewarm water. Always check the degree of temperature by using your hands.
- Avoid using any chemical product, like shampoo or shower gel.
- If you had a natural delivery, then wait for at least 24 hours before trying the sitz bath.
- Ask your doctor about the dosage of medicines or herbs that you will be using for the sitz bath.If there is any persistent pain or irritation in the perineum after using the sitz bath, then consult the doctor.
- Clean the sitz bath basin or bathtub thoroughly before and after the use.